Old Sowtontown is a smallholding with three self-catering holiday cottages, ‘The Barn’, ‘The Shippen’ and ‘The Hemphouse’. They are in a rural setting within the National Park on the western edge of Dartmoor .
For very reasonable prices, these cottages offer ideal accommodation for walking, hiking, cycling or riding holidays. Dogs are welcome and stabling is available should you wish to bring your own horse(s). Open moorland is within a ten-minute walk. Tavistock, a historic market town, is 3 miles away, and Peter Tavy, the nearby village, has a 15th Century inn serving good food. The National Cycle Route 27 goes past our gate.
Old Sowtontown is owned and maintained by the Boswell family who live on site.
The Shippen (40′ x 12′; 12.2m x 3.6m) has an attractive open plan interior with a galleried bedroom and lots of natural stone and wood. The accommodation consists of a sitting room (which can be rearranged with 2 single beds or a double bunk), combined dining room and kitchen, bathroom (with basin, toilet and bath with shower) and gallery-level with a double bed and living area.
- Private certified water supply (chlorine free and makes a great cup of tea!)
- Central heating by our sustainable energy log boiler and a newly-installed, highly efficient wood burner
- The first 90 units of electricity are included in the rent (any excess and any fuel used will be charged at cost price)
- Bed linen, duvets and pillows are included in the rent (towels provided at an additional charge on request)
- Internet access via WLAN
- Electric cooker
- Colour TV & DVD player
- Parking for two cars
- Secluded cobbled yard with picnic table
- Stair gates, cot, and highchair on request
- Well-behaved pets welcome by arrangement