South Tawton: old and pretty little village (good food pub) about ¾ mile from South Zeal and Sticklepath; Chagford, 7 miles: Okehampton (small town, leisure centre, cinema), 4 miles; Exeter, 20; sea/sand, about 30.
… a mile from South Tawton in heavily wooded lanes, a huge, stunning house converted from handsome barns once serving the farmhouse as a grain store. It is attached to its residential neighbour and farming activities continue in 20th cent. open barns across the access lane. Enclosed lawned garden back and front with paved patio (table/chairs).
Inside, gorgeous, practical and very 21st cent. with mostly porcelain flooring downstairs. Massive living/dining room with open fire, TV/DVD; step up to big fitted kitchen/breakfast room (dishwasher, microwave, fridge-freezer, two ovens/5-ring ceramic hob) with granite worktops and big double doors to patio/back garden. No curtains or blinds in the living/kitchen areas (not overlooked). Utility room (good for drying coats/boots/wetsuits/dogs) with loo, sink and washing machine. Off living room, a children’s den with TV/DVD and wood floor (rugs).
From living room, stairs up to gallery landing and five bedrooms (sloping ceilings):
- Very stylish double (5'6" bed, TV) with waist-level divider separating bath and double washbasin area, plus en suite wet-room shower/loo, huge window looking to garden, and hooks for hanging clothes
- Double (5’ bed) with sofa bed, en suite shower-room (suite), stairs down to den, and lockable door to:
- Double (low bed) with 2'6" single (truckle), balustrade and second access to landing
- Double (low bed) with en suite shower-room (suite)
- Room with two singles and hooks for hanging clothes
Bathroom (suite plus hand-shower, separate shower, two washbasins)
Opposite is an open-fronted barn with table tennis, darts, storage for bicycles/surfboards. Damages Deposit £250. Arrival after 4pm. An amazing house with ‘wow’ factor.